Pickup at
Sacramento (Arden), CA

Veneto

1 - 24 of 124 results
Sort

Shopping Method

Pick Up Options

Product Availability

Min.
to
Max.

Min.
to
Max.

What is the Veneto region of Italy?

Veneto, a state facing the Adriatic Sea in Northeastern Italy, became Italy's biggest producer of wine over the past decade. The region's comprised of seven provinces being one of Italy's most productive vine-growing areas. The northern location makes Veneto an excellent source for grapes producing crisp, white wines, more than two-thirds of the region's total production.

Any mention of Veneto and Prosecco, a bright and usually bubbly white wine, is bound to come up. But, it's not all talk. Prosecco's wildly popular Glera grapes are grown across nine provinces along the hilly, lush Veneto, and Friuli Venezia Giulia regions of Italy, consistently earning Prosecco effervescent prestige as an Italian DOC or DOCG (Italy's top certification) vino.

Prosecco is probably the most versatile of Italian whites, making it a must-have at celebrations. By definition, Prosecco must be comprised of at least 85% Glera grapes, but can, therefore, blend others in the other 15%.

If you guessed that Champagne's more expensive because of a more time-intensive production process, you'd be right on the money. The Prosecco price remains practical to the masses, making it a reasonable substitute for many of Champagne occasions — or just for quenching a thirst craving an every-day sparkling wine.

Is Veneto the best region for Prosecco?

Prosecco wine grapes are mostly grown in the Veneto region, and those harvested there are considered the best for Prosecco. The word Prosecco is believed to have originated from the village Prosecco (Trieste), where this grape variety was supposedly first grown, only an hour drive from Venice.

What do the Italians call Prosecco Road?

Two hours north of Venice — between Veneto's charming towns of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene — winds The Prosecco Road (La Strada del Prosecco). You'll pass more than three dozen vineyards growing the Prosecco grape, mostly generations of family-owned businesses. More likely, you'll stop along the stunning cliff-line to sample a few views and imbibe on the infamous vino.

One Prosecco made in Conegliano-Valdobbiadene has now received the top DOCG honor (Italy's highest wine quality award). That certification's not just good for Italy, it is for you, too. For instance, if you're already running late to a party and can't decide on the right wine, do this. Check our shelves for a chilled bottle of Prosecco proudly labeled with the DOCG designation. Odds are, you'll spot one of Veneto's primo Proseccos at the right Prosecco price.

How is Veneto Prosecco made?

About 95% of Prosecco is produced using the Charmat sparkling method, which involves charging the wine with roughly 3 atmospheres of pressure (Prosecco Spumante). The minimum required by the European Union to be considered a sparkling wine. While it's the Prosecco Spumante version that's captured the limelight, you may also notice on some shelves a Prosecco Frizzante, and it's semi-sparkling sister with subtler fizzies.

The differences between Prosecco and Spumante are many and often confusing. 'Spumante' describes a wide class that includes various sparkling wines not necessarily made with glera grapes, and a Prosecco is often a spumante though not always! It can be classified as a 'frizzante' (sparkling) or 'Tranquillo' (still). Prosecco and Spumante are similar though in the sugar amounts used to make them.

How do you drink Prosecco?

First, after purchasing bottles of the wine, be sure you pop it in the fridge. Prosecco is best served chilled at a temperate of 40-45°. Go ahead and use the Champagne flutes. It's cool.

Want to learn more about Prosecco?

Head to our Guide to Sparkling Wine, located in our Guide to Wine, to learn everything you'll need to know!